The successful management of intellectual property rights is fundamental to business growth and requires IPR recognition, protection, valuation, and exploitation.
Our commercial litigation team can help you defend your business in all these areas. The range of contentious IP work we carry out covers the following:
- Registered and unregistered design matters
- Passing off
- Trademark infringement and parallel importing
- Domain name disputes and
- Breach of copyright & breach of confidence
Please note we do not carry out any patent work and enquirers are advised to seek the services of a recognised patent attorney.
Examples of the sort of IP work we have been involved in over the last few years comprises the following:
- Defending registered and unregistered design and trademark infringement claims in respect of swimwear
- Prosecuting unregistered and registered design claims in respect of a large German corporation, through its UK subsidiary, of door closing devices
- Advising on various trademark matters in relation to a leading computer printer manufacturer; dealing with routine "cease and desist" letters following the client's own correspondence to prevent trademark infringement
- Conducting claims of trademark infringement and parallel importing on behalf of a major Far Eastern manufacturer of professional video tapes (through its UK subsidiary) which involved obtaining trap purchase evidence, advising on the client's substantive legal position, preparing draft proceedings and Pre-Action correspondence and concluding settlement
- Conducting defence of proceedings in relation to a breach of copyright and breach of confidence in relation to complex tax and revenue saving structures operated by Isle of Man companies.
For substantive matters (of which those detailed above are examples), we work closely with and have a long-standing relationship with specialist intellectual property Counsel.
For further information please contact Andrew Knight.